Russian (CIS)English (United Kingdom)Ukrainian (UA)

Alchevskiy Alexey
The founder of the plant, manufacturer and banker
1835 (Sumy) - 7.05.1901 (Tsar village)

The History of Alchevsk Iron & Steel Works, PJSC

Alchevsk Iron & Steel Works, PJSC, – is the Company of integrated production cycle and it has its own in-house coke-making production facilities. It is one of the oldest companies of the south-east of Ukraine. Infrastructure of Alchevsk Iron & Steel Works, PJSC, occupies an area of 14 990 000 m2 (1 499 hectares).

At the present time Alchevsk Iron & Steel Works, Public Joint-Stock Company, is one of the largest companies of Ukraine which still expands. Alchevsk Iron & Steel Works includes 13 major production plants: Coal Preparation Shop № 1, Coal Preparation Shop № 2, Coke Shop № 2, Coke Shop № 3, By-product recovery plant, Desulfurization Shop, Sintering Plant, Blast Furnace Plant, Oxygen converter shop, Blooming Mill, Plate Mill № 1, Plate Mill № 2 and Section Mill.

 

Coke-Making Process

In 1927 the Government had taken decision on construction of new coke plant in Alchevsk and two years after that on September 22, 1929 two coke-oven batteries were commissioned and first batch of coke was produced.

In 1930 coke plant became independent enterprise and got the name «Alchevsk State Coke and Benzene Plant № 19».

The enterprise continued its expansion at a quick pace.

In 1932 two more coke-oven batteries were commissioned. In such a way by this time four coke-oven batteries, coal preparation facility, by-product recovery plant, boiler shop, distillation shop and coal pitch processing shop had been functioning as components of the plant. The plant became an enterprise of integrated coke-making production cycle and it had produced 9 400 000 tons of coke during pre-war days.

When The Great Patriotic War began the plant was successfully evacuated to Kemerovo region.

New stage of the plant operation history began in 1944 when coke production had been resumed due to valiant efforts of renovators soon after Lugansk region liberation from invaders.

After the War the state had a need for big quantity of metal and consequently for a coke for metal production. That is why four new coke-oven batteries with coal preparation shop and by-product recovery plant had been commissioned during the period from 1957 to 1959, and four more coke-oven batteries had been commissioned during the period from 1961 to 1962. In such a way the cokery consisting of twelve coke-oven batteries has become one of the largest facilities in the Soviet Union and in the South of Ukraine.

The plant was awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for high performance and success attained in socialist competition according to the Decree of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR dd. January 22, 1971.

On March 28, 1975 the ceremony of 100-millionth ton of coke production was held.

The year 1981 became a turning point in the plant operation cycle. This year the issue of technical re-equipment of the industry companies came up.

Reconstruction of coke-oven batteries No. 5 – 8 operational time limits of which had ended was started according to the approved plans.

Rebricking of these batteries with preservation of existing dimensions had been performed without stoppage of production processes during 1983 – 1986. At the same time coal preparation shop №. 2 and by-product recovery plant № 2 were reconstructed, high-power activated sludge process installation and new industrial boiler were commissioned.

The way of new technical solutions implementation has started in 1988 with construction of coke-oven battery complex № 9-bis having capacity of 1 000 000 tons of bulk 6 %-moisture coke per year under the licensed technology of coking of compressed coal charge produced by Saarberg-Interplan Company (Federal Republic of Germany). New technological process made possible increase of raw material supplies base for coking, it excluded use of coals which were difficult to obtain. It was Alchevsk Coke and Chemical Plant who first implements this technological practice among the other companies of Commonwealth of Independent States and this practice has still been successfully applied up to now. The first coke from compressed coal charge was produced at the battery 9-bis on January 13, 1993.

In December 1995 Alchevsk Coke and Chemical Plant was reconstructed to Alchevskkoks, OJSC. Works on the Company's facilities reconstruction has continued.

Implementation of the project design for desulfurization shop reconstruction in 1998 – 2002 providing coke gas purification from hydrogen sulfide for compliance with European standards became significant achievement and had great positive impact on the area ecology.

Implementation of the largest project design for construction of coke-oven battery complex 10-bis having capacity of 1 000 000 tons of 6 %-moisture coke with introduction of field-proven technology of coking of compressed coal charge and exhaust heat recovery at coke dry quenching unit in cooperation with corporation «Industrial Union of Donbass» has started in 2004. It was the first time for national practice when such advanced technologies are introduced in complex.

First batch of coke at coke-oven battery № 10-bis was produced in 2006.

Coke dry quenching unit was introduced in 2007.

New age of the plant development and new production level were started with coke-oven battery № 10-bis commissioning together with coke dry quenching introduction. A lot of innovative technical and process engineering solutions focused on environment protection, energy saving and improvement of working conditions for operation personnel were implemented at coke-oven battery № 10-bis.

In 2008 the Production and Trading Copmpany Ukrenergochermet has performed correction of the design for boiler unit № 2 expansion as for reconstruction of the boiler Е–75–3,9–440ГМ–1 with its reconstruction for blast-furnace gas combustion. Moreover project design for construction of new power-generating complex was developed. This project design included installation of the turbogenerator manufactured by «SIEMENS» Company with capacity of 9,13 MW.

Reconstruction of the boiler Е–75–3,9–440ГМ–1 for blast-furnace gas combustion and construction of new power-generating complex including installation of SIEMENS turbogenerator had been performed during the years 2008 – 2011. Reconstructed boiler E–75 was commissioned in December, 2010. «SIEMENS» turbogenerator was launched in October, 2011.

«Alchevskkoks», OJSC was the first one among coke and chemical companies of Ukraine where quality management system according to the requirements of the International Standard ISO 9001:2008, was implemented. Moreover, management systems according to the International Standards ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007 were also implemented. All three management systems were integrated into the unified management system of quality, environmental protection, occupational health and safety.

The plant participated a lot of competitions of regional and national level, products of the plant are awarded with many diplomas and medals and are recognized as the best ones in the sector.

Main assets of «ALCHEVSKKOKS», PJSC, were rented to «AISW», PJSC in 2013.

Iron and Steel Making Process

Creation and establishment of Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works are closely connected to activity of the famous Ukrainian manufacturer and banker Alexey Alchevskiy (1835 – 1901).

Construction of the enterprise started in 1895, and the first blast-furnace of Donetsk-Yurievsky Metallurgical Society (DYMS) was blown in on May 26, 1896.

Before the Great October Socialist Revolution Alchevsk plant was outstanding at that time: 6 blast furnaces with the volume from 250 to 380 m³, 7 open hearth furnaces with 40 t charging, the rolling-mill shop. Hard manual labor prevailed at all the units of Alchevsk plant at that time. For instance, workers turned over and pushed 3-ton ingots with the help of ordinary crowbars at preheating furnaces of Mill «800». In 1913 the plant reached the highest production level under those conditions: 217 000 t of iron and 251 000 t of steel were smelted, 210 000 t of sections were produced.

During the first years of World War I and the Civil War the production of steel at the plant decreased greatly. In 1923 – 1925 the plant was closed temporarily. It was in 1925 when blast furnace No. 2 was reconstructed, and gradually the rest of the units were back in operation.

During the years of the first Five-Year Plan the reconstruction of the plant had started. Within several years two new mechanized blast furnaces with the volume 930 m³ each (later the volume of blast furnace № 2 was increased), gas cleaning and other units were constructed. The production of steel was growing continuously. At the same time the question of high-quality steel grades creating and more economical sections of rolled products development had being solved successfully. In particular the production of cold-drawn calibrated steel was organized and increased. By the beginning of the Great Patriotic War the output of special and high-quality steel grades made up almost 85 % of the total production.

The war hampered further development of the plant. During the occupation of the town by fascists plants were seriously damaged.

During the period of reconstruction they started the preparation for radical changes at the plant based on the new achievements of science and engineering of that period.

Fundamental reconstruction of metallurgical plant had been performed during 1952 – 1962. Powerful open-hearth furnaces, plate mills 2250 and 2800, blooming mill, sintering plant were constructed during this period. Semi-continuous heavy-section mill 600, blast-furnace No. 1 with a volume of 3000 m3, two-baths steelmaking unit, steel shot shop, bimetal plate shop, ball-rolling mill, trough-type steelmaking unit and a few auxiliary shops were put into operation in subsequent years.

In 1984 Alchevsk Iron and Steel Plant was transformed into the Integrated Iron and Steel Works under the program on transformation of large metallurgical plants into integrated iron and steel works.

In 1994 Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works, Open Joint-Stock Company, was created in 1994 (since April 8, 2011 – Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works, Public Joint-Stock Company).

On September 29, 2003 The Corporation «Industrial Union of Donbass», «Duferko» Company (Switzerland) and «Voest-Alpine Industrieanlagenbau» Company (Austria) have signed Memorandum of Intends for Fundamental Reconstruction of the Works to be performed before 2011. Within the scope of technical re-equipment of the enterprise the first continuous billets casting unit (MNLZ) № 1 together with two-position unit of secondary of «ladle-furnace» type was commissioned in August 2005, the second MNLZ and vacuum vessel of chamber type were commissioned in 2007. At the same time reconstruction of the mill 2800 into the mill 3000 was performed. The blast-furnace № 1 with volume of 3000 m3 after capital restorative repair and reconstruction was blown-in in 2007. The new oxygen section № 7 manufactured by the French Company «AIR LIQUIDE» with capacity of 60 000 m3/hour was launched in March 2008. The first oxygen converter № 2 with charge capacity of 300 tons was commissioned on January 12, 2008. Hot testing and start of commercial operation of the south converter № 1was executed on March 5, 2008 when the first heats are casted. The same year units of pulverized coal injection into blast-furnaces started operation. December, 2011 – the shaft-type lime furnace «Polysius» was launched. Due to this fact current production facilities have been provided with domestic lime since 2012 and with domestic fluidized lime for secondary iron desulfurization since 2013.

 

Memorable Dates

1895
On A. K. Alchevskiy's initiative, Donetsk-Yurievsky Metallurgical Society (DYMS) was founded. This society started construction of a big metallurgical plant near the railway station Yurievka of Ekaterininskaya railroad. Middle of May – laying of the first blast-furnace of upcoming DYMS plant.

1896
May, 26 – blast furnace №1 was put into operation during the grand ceremony; the birthday of Donetsk-Yurievsky Metallurgical Society that is Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works today.
The second half of the year – the second blast furnace and the first open-hearth furnace went into operation. The plant produced 1 925 000 poods of iron and 518 500 poods of steel.

1899
The plant was the first in Russia to produce heavy sections of beams that were imported before.

1901
After the tragic death of the founder of DYMS plant A. K. Alchevskiy on May, 7, 1901, a special Administration on the plant affairs was formed, that submitted to the General Meeting of the shareholders in Peterburgh.

1902
DYMS plant joins «Prodamet» syndicate («The society for selling the products of Russian metallurgical plants»)

1906
July 26 – the trade union of the metalworkers of Donetsk-Yurievsky Plant was registered.

1907
A four-year school for 600 workers' children was built (from 1911 the term of education is extended to six years).

1910
November 15 – on the initiative of Yurievsky-Diamond Society «Prosvescheniye» («Education») a private commercial school was open.

1911
The consumers' society of the workers of Donetsk-Yurievsky Plant was formed.

1913
Donetsk-Yurievsky Plant produced 249 000 t of iron, 251 000 t of steel, 210 500 t of rolled products. Six blast furnaces and seven open-hearth furnaces, three converters, five heavy section mills were in operation at the plant. A plant's football team was formed.
A plant's football team was formed.

1914
In connection with the beginning of the World War the shop for production wire for the needs of the front was commissioned.

1918
April 26 – the Austrian-German occupation army marched into Alchevsk.
May 3 – the operation of remaining blast furnace №3 is stopped. More than 4 000 workers were fired.

1920
January – DYMS plant was nationalized and became Donetsk-Yurievsky State Metallurgical Plant. An open-hearth furnace shop, a rolling mill and a wire shop renewed production

1922
March 15 – the factory apprenticeship school was opened under the jurisdiction of the plant.

1923
May – according to the decision of the Committee of the Council of Labour and Defence the plant was stopped. A small number of workers was left to maintain the equipment and to guard the plant.

1925
June – the Supreme Council of Agriculture took the decision to open the plant and prepare it for commissioning.

1926
February 28 – blast furnace № 2 was put into operation in the ceremonial atmosphere. Beginning of the revival of the plant after its temporary closure. August 1 – blast furnace № 6 was put into operation.
November 22 – blast furnace №1 was reconstructed. During that year several open hearth furnaces and three rolling mills were commissioned.

1929
Coking shop was ceremonially launched.
May 10 – blast furnace № 5 was put into operation after the capital repair. The reconstruction after the temporary close was over. Plant reconstruction started.

1930
The Works Palace of Culture was built.

1931
Old blast furnaces № 3 and № 4 were destroyed according to the reconstruction plan. They started the preparation for the construction of two new powerful mechanized blast furnaces. The workers of blast furnace № 2 won the first place in the All-Ukrainian competitions of blast furnace brigades. The young engineer and future general designer of space rockets Sergey Korolev visited the town twice.

1932
January 12 – the first in the country casting machine was put into operation.

1933
January 29 – blast furnace № 1-bis with the working volume 930 m³ was put into operation.

1934
April 28 – blast furnace 22-bis with the working volume 930 m³ was put into operation. Later its volume was increased to 1050 m³.

1938
Locomotive round house with wagon workshops was constructed.

1939
March 26 – Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR awarded a group of the toilers of the plant with orders and medals for using Stakhanov's methods in their work. Among them there was the director of the plant P. A. Gmyrya, a foreman of a blast furnace shop G. F. Bebeshev, an engine-driver P. S. Khardikov, a blast furnace engineer A. V. Nemtsov, a steel founder M. I. Fomin and others.

1940
November 28 – the workers of blast furnace № 2 completed the fulfillment of the annual program before the appointed time. Blast furnace men won one of the first places in the All-Union competitions of metallurgists. In the pre-war year of 1940 the plant produced 249 500 t of iron, 235 400 t of steel, 207 900 t of rolled products. The production of special and high-quality steel grades made up 85 % of the total steel production.
4 blast furnaces, 7 open hearth furnaces, 5 rolling mills, 5 draw-benches to draw metal for sub-machines guns were in operation.

1941
June 22 – the town people's meeting took place in connection with the German-fascist invasion to the USSR. The director of the plant P. A. Gmyrya, a gasman of the blast furnace shop I. L. Kozlovsky and other metallurgists took floor at the meeting. The participants of the meeting declared that they would triple their energy to produce as much metal as their country needed.
The first half of the September – Alchevsk iron and steel works organized the production and started the mass production of 50-mm mines. October 10 – the first bombardment of the plant by the fascist aviation. Bombing lasted till 1942. October 15 – the operation of all the production shops was stopped according to the resolution of the State Defense Committee and the order of the People's commissar of the ferrous metal industry.
October 17 – evacuation of the plant equipment to the East had started.

1942
January 11 – the State Defense Committee took the decision to reconstruct blast furnace №4. From April 9 to June 7, blast furnace № 4 produced 10 000 t of foundry iron for the needs of the front. July 11 – the second evacuation of the plant was over. Totally 3325 wagons were dispatched and 4780 people left during the both periods of the evacuation. July 12 – Alchevsk was occupied by the German fascists invaders.

1943
September 2 – the troops of the South front liberated Alchevsk from the Hitlerites.
September 4 – the People's commissar of the ferrous metal industry of the USSR signed the order «About the renewal of the activities at the plant named after Voroshilov».

1944
On the night of March 6 – 7 reconstructed blast furnace № 5 was put into operation.
March – All-Union Council of Trade Unions awarded Alchevsk plant with the second prize for the success in the competition of the enterprises under reconstruction. August – open heath furnace № 4 was reconstructed. October 14 – blast furnace № 5 is put into operation.

1945
April 19 – blast furnace № 4 was reconstructed.

1946
May 26 – the work people of the town celebrated the 50th anniversary of the plant. The plant was awarded with Order of the Red Banner of Labour by the resolution of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR dd. July 1, 1946. A group of metallurgists were awarded with orders and medals.

1947
February 22 – the issue of the large-circulation newspaper of Alchevsk plant «Voroshilovets». June 16 – reconstructed powerful blast furnace №1 produced iron for the first time.

1948
May 18 – Medal «For Reconstruction of Ferrous Metallurgy Enterprises in the South» was instituted. A lot of metallurgists who made a big contribution to the reconstruction of Alchevsk plant were awarded with that medal. December 31 – blast furnace № 2 became operative. This was the end of the reconstruction of the blast furnace shop the size it was before the war.

1949
December 3 – the workers of the plant fulfilled the first post-war Five-Year Plan nearly 13 months before the appointed time.

1950
January 24 – 82 workers of the plant were awarded with orders and medals for prolonged meritorious service and flawless work by the resolution of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Foremen of the blast furnace shop I. I. Dubrovka and F. K. Ischenko, a seniour foreman R. D. Zhydov, the chief of the Project department A. I. Prudnikov were awarded with Order of Lenin; a furnace attendant I. K. Golovatenko, an iron founder G. A. Kuznetsov, a foreman of the blast furnace shop Y. Y. Logachov and others were awarded with Order of the Red Banner of Labour. Plant's dance groups «Metallurgist» and «Young Metallurgist» were formed.

1952
March 31 – two powerful 220-ton open-hearth furnaces were put into operation.
July 1 – plate mill 2250 was commissioned. The plant became a full-cycle enterprise again.
October 10 – open-hearth furnace № 3 and boiler № 4 of the thermoelectric plant were put into operation.

1953
July 31 – the complex of blast furnace № 4 was commissioned.
November 10 – open hearth furnace № 5 was put into operation.

1954
June 8 – the unique blooming-slabbing made in the USSR was put into operation.

1955
April 22 – reconstructed blast furnace No. 3 produced iron.
November 22 – plate mill 2800 was commissioned.

1956
March 4 – steel was produced by 500-ton open-hearth furnace № 7 that was the most powerful steel-making unit in Europe at that time.
June – the repair of the worn mill roll was performed using the building-up method for the first time.
Open-hearth furnace № 8 was put into operation. New buildings of the polyclinic and the hospital were constructed.

1957
January 12 – the complex of blast furnace № 4 with the volume of 1386 m³ was commissioned.
October 27 – open-hearth furnace № 9 was put into operation.
Construction of the gas equipment shop started.

1958
July 20 – the toilers of the plant celebrated the first Metallurgist's Day. The director P. A. Gmyrya, a steel-maker M. I. Fomin, a foreman of the blast furnace shop M. I. Gritsenko and a foreman of the plate mill № 1 V. F. Stupakov received the title of Hero of Socialist Labour by the resolution of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Front-rank workers I. I. Dubrovka, R. D. Zhydov, S. S. Trubnikov were given the title of Honoured Metallurgist of Ukraine.
A new iron foundry was commissioned in September.
October 22 – 600-ton open-hearth furnace № 10 was put into operation.

1959
The first part of the sinter shop was built. September 27 – first batch of product was produced at the traveling-grate sintering machine № 1, December 2 – at the traveling-grate sintering machine № 2.
The construction of the gas equipment shop was over. Rolling mill 2800 started rolling stainless steel plates out of slabs supplied by «Zaporozhstal» plant. The production of low-manganese iron was organized by two blast furnaces. Three furnaces were switched to operation with high top gas pressure.

1960
January 1 and February 15 – traveling-grate sintering machines № 3 and № 4 were put into operation in the sinter shop; a stainless steel shop was commissioned in the plate finishing department.
September 26 – the complex of blast furnace № 5 with the volume 1719 m³ was commissioned. The construction of the new engineering shop started.

1961
February 2 and 3 – traveling-grate sintering machines № 5 and № 6 were put in operation in the sintering shop.
The shop for centrifugal casting of pipes was built.

1962
July – engineering shop № 2 was commissioned.
December 28 – turbogenerator № 5 of the combined heat and power plant produced current for the first time.
The construction of the new oxygen plant started.

1963
Boiler № 7 of the combined heat and power plant, an oxygen unit BR–1, bi-metal workshops, the central laboratory, shot-blast equipment for plate surface conditioning in plate mill № 2 were put into operation.
A vacuum heating furnace and a heating continuous furnace at mill 2800, oxygen unit № 2, the slag yard, a training-production shop were commissioned.

1965
Oxygen unit № 3 was put into operation. The equipment remote-control system, that allows to shorten time of transients during ingot rolling, was commissioned in the blooming mill for the first time; systems of automatic distribution of blasting and natural gas to lances were put into operation at blast furnaces № 3 and № 4; the equipment for radiometric control of the charge in a blast furnace was installed at blast furnaces № 2, 4, 5; the machine for gunning back walls of open hearth furnaces, the machine for charging baffles and the device for continuous temperature measurements of steel in the furnaces were put into operation in the open-hearth furnace shop.

1966
March 29 – section mill 600, the biggest in Europe, was commissioned.
April 28 – the presentation of metallurgists who made big contribution to the fulfilment of the Seven-Year Plan with state awards at the Palace of Culture. The Hero of Socialist Labour a steel-founder A. I. Lugovskoy was awarded with Order of Lenin and Golden Medal «Hammer and Sickle», a steel-founder I. V. Zelenskoy was awarded with Order of Lenin, a gasman, the chief of the trade union of the blast furnace shop I. Y. Chekalkin was awarded with order of the Red Banner of Labour. The former director of the plant, the honoured citizen of the town P. A. Gmyrya received the thirteenth in succession award, the Badge of Honour.
July – the plant switched over to the shortened working week with two days-off. At the sea-side of the Black Sea in Gelendgik a sanatorium camp was opened for the toilers of the plant and their families, a rest home for the workers of the sintering shop was opened in Balka Ploskaya. The construction of rest homes for workers continued on the shores of Isakovsk Lake, situated outside the town

1967
The year of 1967 was marked by reaching the level of 100 mln of steel smelted by metallurgical plants of the USSR.
The brigade of Lugovskoy received the honorary right to take part in the final smelting for 100 mln tons (open-hearth furnace No. 1).
The briquette plant and a hydropathic establishment were commissioned.
The laboratory of scientific organization of labour and management was formed.

1968
June – the yacht-club was opened at Isakovsky Lake. The dance company «Metallurgist» received the title of People's Dance Company.

1971
February – the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR awarded the plant with Order of the October Revolution for the progress in the development of production of high-quality steel and organization of production of new rolled products.
A steel-founder V. F. Korzinkin and a furnace attendant V. N. Marchenko received the titles of Hero of Socialist Labour.

1972
October – a new Palace of Culture was built. The hall of the Palace admits 1200 people.
The dance company «A Young Metallurgist» received the title of People's Dance Company.

1973
January, 1 – Almaznyansky Iron and Steel Plant was included into the structure of Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works as the Blast Furnace № 2.
December, 24 – The workers of the Open-Hearth Shop took part in melting of the 50-millionth ton of the Ukrainian steel.
The Plant's museum, established in 1966, was awarded the title of the People's Museum.

1975
A new complex of the secondary technical school № 8, financed by the plant, was built. This school was awarded the honorary title of «The best metallurgical school in the USSR» for success achieved in educational work.

1976
March, 5 – By the Edict of Presidium of the Supreme Council of the USSR, N. G. Minanchenkov, a steelmaker, was awarded the title of the Hero of the Socialist Labor for prominent success in fulfillment of obligations, taken for the 9th five-year plan regarding the increase in products manufacture, quality improvement and increase in productivity. 63 steelmakers were awarded with orders and medals.

1977
January, 15 – Blast Furnace № 1 with the volume 3000 cubic meters, ranking second in Ukraine with regard to output, was put into operation. With the commissioning of this unit the annual iron production at the plant increased by 1600 thousand tons.
June, 30 – Double-bath open hearth furnace yielded its first steel.
November, 7 – A. M. Kachalov, a steelmaker, was awarded State Prize of the USSR for prominent labor deserts and achievements, considerable increase in efficiency of steelmaking due to pre-schedule mastering of production facilities, introduction of the new equipment and advance technology, initiative in development of the competition for finding reserves at every working place.
The production of steel grinding balls for ore-dressing works was mastered.

1979
December: the Shop of Steel Shot produced the first tons of its products.

1980
December, 9 – S. Y. Shehter was awarded State Prize of Ukraine in the field of science and technology for 1980 for development of bases for creation and implementation into industry the technology and equipment for plasma-arc manufacture of ingots, steels and alloys from billets and non-compact burden.

1982
February, 19 – the 100-millionth ton of iron was made (since the day of start-up of the plant).
February, 19 – A. P. Vovk, a sinter man, G. I. Korotchenko, a furnace attendant, G. G. Uzhva, Chief of the Division, were awarded the honorary title of Honoured Metallurgist of Ukraine for their deserts in the field of ferrous metallurgy, high production figures and active participation in public life.
May, 1 – V. N. Marchenko, a furnace attendant, was awarded State Prize of Ukraine for prominent labor achievements under results of 1981.

1983
April, 12 – S. F. Ovilko, a roller, was awarded State Prize of Ukraine for prominent labor achievements, high efficiency and workmanship under results of 1982.
November, 7 – A. M. Sbitnev, a steelmaker, was awarded State Prize of the USSR for mastering the manufacture of special steel grades for pipes with improved strength.

1984
January, 10 – Alchevsk Iron and Steel Plant was transformed into the Integrated Iron and Steel Works under Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR dated December, 13, 1983, and Regulation of the Ministry of Ferrous Metallurgy of the USSR dated December, 28, 1983, on transformation of large metallurgical plants in Ukraine into integrated iron and steel works.
February – the 100-millionth ton of steel was made at Alchevsk. The memorable symbol was issued in honour of this event. Modern ball-dance company «Impulse» was awarded the title of the People's Company.

1985
Personnel training base of the Works was exhibited at the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy of the USSR due to successes in personnel training.

1986
January, 21 – Sanatorium-Dispensary «Metallurgist» received its first guests.

1987
May – A. N. Miroshnichenko, a steelmaker, was awarded with State Prize of Ukraine for achieved labour success.
November – Valentina Ivanovna Sukach, a therapist of the medical unit of the Works was awarded with State Prize of the USSR for achieved labour results.

1988
May – the staff of the Bimetal Plate Shop celebrated its 25th anniversary. The workers of the Shop produced more than a million of bimetal plate piles for needs of national economy during 25 years of the Shop's operation.

1990
The production of ferromanganese was stopped at blast furnace № 2 to protect the air basin of the town. The rest center was built in Sudak.

1991
The Works' standard on environmental protection was introduced at the plant.
Marketing service was organized at the Works.

1992
March, 26 – Presidium of the Supreme Council of Ukraine passed a resolution confirming the decision of the town's referendum to return the town of Kommunarsk its previous name Alchevsk. As a result, Iron and Steel Works was also called Alchevsk Works (AISW).
June, 24 – Alchevsk Iron and Steel works was granted a certificate of the international certification committee Lloyd's Register confirming the correspondence of shipbuilding steel A from 5 to 22 mm to the international standards. Later, the similar certificates were given for the other types of steel products.

1993
Coke-oven battery № 9-bis with compacting practice applied was commissioned.
February – The line for production of metal sleepers was put into operation in the Bimetal Plate Shop.
July – The Works received certificates from the independent certification agency TUV (Berlin-Branderburg) for structural steel grades under four European standards.

1994
Blast furnace № 1 was temporary shutdown.
Coke and chemical plant was restructured into open joint-stock company.
June, 8 – Ministry of Industry of Ukraine issued the order on transformation of Alchevsk State Iron and Steel Works into the Open Joint-Stock Company «Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works» (OJSC AISW).
July - By decision of the Ministry of Industry of Ukraine Blast Furnace Shop № 2 of Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works was included into the structure of the newly formed Almaznyansky Iron and Steel Works.
December, 20 – State Property Fund of Ukraine granted permission for privatization of Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works.

1995
March, 13 – The Chairman of the Board of OJSC AISW signed the order on «Creation of the Privatization Department at the Works».
May, 15 – In Paris, OJSC «Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works» was awarded International Prize for commercial prestige.
May, 22 – Subscription to shares of OJSC «Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works» began.
September – Works' newspaper «For Metal» marked its 70th anniversary. The circulation of the newspaper was 3 600 copies.

1996
May, 26 – the 100th anniversary since the day of commissioning of Donetsk-Yurievka Metallurgical Society. Now it's PJSC «Alchevsk Iron and Steel Works».

1999
Reconstruction of the desulfurization shop began.

2003
The Corporation «Industrial Union of Donbass», «Duferko» Company (Switzerland) and «Voest-Alpine Industrieanlagenbau» Company (Austria) have signed Memorandum of Intends for Fundamental Reconstruction of the Works.

2005
August – commissioning of the first part of continuous steel casting shop (CNRS) being a part of continuous billets casting unit (MNLZ) No. 1 and two-position unit of secondary steel refining of type «ladle-furnace».

2006
Coke-oven battery № 10-bis with compacting practice applied was commissioned
Reconstruction of the mill 2800 into the mill 3000 was performed.

2007
June – hot testing of MNLZ No. 2 and two-position vacuum chamber unit (UVK) was performed. After that the range of casted steel grades and high-duty steel was expanded; commissioning of the blast-furnace № 1 with volume of 3000 m3 after capital restorative repair and reconstruction.

2008
January – start of commercial operation of the first-ever for AISW, PJSC, oxygen converter (the north one).
March – launching of the new oxygen section № 7 manufactured by the French Company «AIR LIQUIDE» having capacity of 60 000 m3/hour.

2009
Start of commercial operation of the second converter (the south one) and unit of pulverized coal injection into blast-furnaces.

2011
Commissioning of the power-generating complex facilities (boiler Е–75, turbogenerator «SIEMENS» 9,13 MW, reconstruction of the «Zapadnaya» substation)
December – launching of the shaft-type lime furnace «Polysius». Due to this fact current production facilities have been provided with domestic lime since 2012 and with domestic fluidized lime for secondary iron desulfurization since 2013.

Copyright © 2010-2015 PJSC AISW